ELECTRONIC LABELING SYSTEM
/ Español/ Español
Printed in China
With the PT-1090 you can create labels for
any application. Select from the many
frames, character sizes and styles to design
custom labels. In addition, the variety of tape
cartridges allows you to print labels with
different widths and colors.
Read this guide carefully before starting and
keep the guide in a handy place for future
The contents of this guide and the
specifications of this product are subject to
change without notice.
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is
subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause
harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference
received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for
a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These
limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful
interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates,
uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and
used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful
interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee
that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this
equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television
reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on,
the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more
of the following measures:
• Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
• Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
• Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to
which the receiver is connected.
• Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
• Changes or modifications not expressly approved by Brother
Industries, Ltd. could void the user’s authority to operate the
Follow these guidelines to avoid the risk of
fire, burn, injury, electric shock, damage,
overheating, abnormal odors or smoking.
• Always use the specified voltage and the suggested
AC adapter (AD-24ES) to prevent any damage or
• Unplug the power cord immediately and stop using the
P-touch labeler during an electric storm.
Do not use the P-touch labeler/adapter in places of high
humidity such as bathrooms. Do not get the P-touch
labeler/adapter/power plug wet such as by handling
them with wet hands or spilling beverages on to it.
• Do not overload the power cord. Do not forcibly bend or
pull the power cord. Do not damage or place heavy
objects on the power cord or plug.
• Hold the plug when disconnecting the power cord from
the power outlet. Do not use an outlet that is loose.
• Do not swallow the cutter stopper.
• Do not disassemble or modify the P-touch labeler/
adapter/batteries. Do not use metallic objects such as
tweezers or a pen when changing the batteries. Do not
throw the batteries into fire or expose to heat.
• Disconnect the adapter, remove the batteries and stop
using the P-touch labeler immediately if you notice
abnormal odor, heat, discoloration, deformation or
anything unusual while using or storing it.
Follow these guidelines to avoid personal
injury, battery leakage, burn and heat
• Do not touch the edge of the cutter or any metal part
near the print head.
• Remove the batteries and disconnect the adapter if you
do not intend to use the P-touch labeler for an extended
period of time.
• Do not use old and new batteries together or mix
alkaline batteries with other types.
• Do not drop or hit the P-touch labeler/adapter. Do not
press hard on the LCD display.
• Do not put your finger between the covers when you
close the cassette cover.
• Depending on the location, material, and
environmental conditions, the label may unpeel or
become irremovable, the color of the label may change
or be transferred to other objects. Before applying the
label, check the environmental condition and the
• Do not use the labeler in any way or for any purpose not
described in this guide. Doing so may result in
accidents or damage the machine.
• Only use a soft, dry cloth to clean the labeler; never use
alcohol or other organic solvents.
• Use a soft wipe to clean the print head; never touch the
• Do not put any foreign objects into the tape exit slot or
• Do not place the labeler/batteries in direct sunlight or
rain, near heaters or other hot appliances, in any
location exposed to extremely high or low temperatures
(e.g. on the dashboard or in the back of your car), high
humidity, or dusty locations.
• Do not apply excessive pressure to the cutter lever.
• Do not try to print if the cassette is empty; it will damage
the print head.
• Do not pull the tape while printing or feeding; it will
damage the tape and the labeler.
• Any data stored in memory will be lost due to failure or
repair of the labeler, or if the battery power runs out.
Error message Cause / remedy
BATTERY! The batteries are about to run out. Replace all batteries.
Invalid! - An invalid number is selected for Label length.
No Text! - You tried to print a text file when there is no data stored
in the memory.
- is pressed when no text is entered.
You tried to select [Copies], [Preview] or [Cable] when
no text is entered.
- You tried to enter a third line by pressing .
Note: Use either 3/8" (9 mm) or 1/2" (12 mm) wide tape
when printing two lines.
Cutter Error Tape cutter lever is pressed while the machine is printing.
Note: Do not push the cutter lever while printing.
Full! The maximum number of characters (80 Characters for
regular text, or 50 characters for DECO MODE) have
already been entered.
-The text length exceeds the selected Label length.
-The text length exceeds 7.8" (200mm) when “Label
Length” is set to [Auto] in DECO MODE.
If the minimum label length (1.2"/30mm) is selected, some frame
types (Leaf or Star) will not allow you to enter additional text.
No Frame OK? Frames can not be printed on 9/64" (3.5mm) tape.
Select to print with no frame or to cancel.
OK to Feed? Tape feeds after printing when [Chain Prt] is selected.
Refer to 'Set margin (tape margin)'.
If the print head becomes too hot, the labeler stops printing
and automatically starts to cool down. The cool down time will
be displayed. Once the print head is cool, printing will continue
automatically. Do not touch the labeler while cooling.
Insert 1/2" (12 mm)!
Only 1/2" (12 mm) tape cassette is available for DECO MODE.
No Cassette! Insert a cassette
Problem Possible solution
The display stays blank after you have
turned on the machine.
- Check the batteries are correctly inserted.
- The batteries could be weak, replace them.
Check that the AD-24ES adapter is correctly connected.
The power turns off when trying to print - The batteries are weak; replace all batteries.
- Check that the batteries are inserted correctly.
When the label is printed out, there is too
much margin on both sides of the text.
See 'Set margin (tape margin)' in this user's guide and select
[Half] or [Narrow] to have smaller margins for your label.
The machine has “locked up” (i.e., nothing
happens when a key is pressed, even
though the machine is on).
Refer to 'RESETTING THE P-TOUCH'.
All text and format settings need to be
cleared to create a new label
Press and select [Txt & Format].
The machine does not print or printing is
- Check that the tape cassette is inserted correctly.
- If the tape cassette is empty, replace it.
- Check that the cassette cover is properly closed.
The setting has cleared on its own. - The batteries may be weak; replace them.
- When power is disconnected for more than two
minutes, all text & formatting will be lost. Language and
Unit settings will also be cleared.
The tape does not feed properly or gets
stuck inside the labeler
Check that the end of the tape feeds under the tape guides.
The cutter lever is pressed while printing. Do not touch
the cutter lever during printing.
To change the language setting Refer to ‘INITIAL SETTINGS’.
If you encounter any problems with this product, do
not return the product to the store. After referring to
the User guide if you still need assistance, call
Brother Customer Service at:
Voice: 1-877-BROTHER I Fax 1-901-379-1210
If you need to locate a service center,
call 1-877-BROTHER or visit us at our web site.
B:Tape cutter lever
• Open the cassette cover by pressing the above
indicated area at the top end of the machine.
• Insert six AAA alkaline batteries.
• Make sure the + and – of the batteries are
Note: Only use new batteries.
• Make sure that the end of the tape feeds under
the tape guides.
If the ink ribbon in the cassette is loose, use your
finger to turn the toothed wheel in the direction of
the arrow on the cassette until there is no slack.
A:Tape exit slot
• Insert a tape cassette.
• Make sure that the cassette snaps into place.
• Close the cassette cover.
• After you have installed the tape, feed the tape
(see “Feeding”) once and then push in the tape
cutter lever to cut the tape.
Use only Brother TZ tapes with this
RESETTING THE P-TOUCH
Reset the P-touch labeler if you want to
initialize the settings or in case the labeler
does not work properly.
• Turn off the labeler.
• Hold down and .
• While holding and , press
once to turn ON the labeler.
• Release and .
The labeler turns on with its internal
All text, settings and stored files are
6. Label length
7. Underline / Frame
8. DECO MODE
11.Back Space (BS)/Cancel
Display: 12 characters.
Text buffer: maximum 80 characters.
For memory back up it is
recommended to use the batteries
together with the (optional)
AC adapter (AD-24ES).
1. Start your machine
• Supply power by using the batteries or the
adapter and press .
2. Set the language
[English / Español / Français / Hrvatski/
Italiano /Magyar / Nederlands/ Norsk /Polski /
Português /Română /Slovenski / Slovenský /
Suomi / Svenska /Türkçe/ Čeština / Dansk /
3. Set the unit of measurement: inch or mm
4. Set date (MM/DD/YY) and time (hh:mm)
Example: Setting the date and time for November 21,
[MM/01/10] Input “11” [11/DD/10] Input “21”
[11/21/YY] Input “09”
[hh:00] Input “10” [10:mm] Input “30”
SETTINGS (LABEL DESIGNS)
In addition to this setting, the text size
automatically adjusts to the tape width. The
actual printed size varies with tape width.
[Normal/x 2/x 1/2]
- 8 Frames are available. Refer to table
( ) on the enclosed insertion sheet.
- Frames cannot be printed on 9/64"
1 Underline 3 Leaf 5 Star 7 Bubble
2 Round 4 Tile 6 Heart 8 Flower
Upper/Lower case: is ON/OFF.
- Basic/Pictograph: For entering symbols.
[. , : ; " ' •]
•Refer to the symbol table (Basic: /
Pictograph: ) on the enclosed insertion sheet.
The rows of symbols (A to L) in the
Pictograph table can be selected by
pressing the corresponding character.
•To go to the next group, press (again).
- Print List: For printing all symbols in the
Two line text
• Enter the text for the first line and press .
• Enter the text for the second line and press .
Note:Do not press after the second line
of text otherwise “Line Limit!” error
message will appear.
Use either 3/8" (9 mm) or 1/2" (12 mm)
wide tape when printing two lines of text.
• Type a character and press .
• Choose an accented character with
or and press . For a list of available
characters, refer to table ( ) on the
enclosed insertion sheet.
By pressing , the characters will be
deleted one by one.
• Deleting all text and settings
• Deleting text only
Note:Only the text can be previewed, not the size,
font or any additional features.
Feed (tape feed)
• Press .
Set margin (tape margin)
- Full/Half/Narrow: For leaving equal
margins on both sides of the text.
- Chain print: For creating labels
containing text in various styles.
When the message “OK to Feed?” appears
after the label is printed, press .
2.Clear the text, enter the text for the next
label, and then press
3.Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each
4.When the message “OK to Feed?”
appears after the last label is printed,
5.After the tape is fed, press the cutter
lever to cut off the chain of labels.
[Ok to Feed?]
You can print up to 9 copies of the label.
When you want to print the same labels with
the narrowest margins, set margin to Narrow.
TIME / DATE
You can print time and date with one touch
on the button. Eight formats are available.
Add Time / Date
[abc_] [abc 11/21/09_ ]
Select a format
The following formats are available.
Changing the clock setting
• Refer to INITIAL SETTINGS, step 4.
Format November 21
2009 3:30 PM
M/D/Y hm 11/21/09 03:30PM
D/M/Y hm 21/11/09 03:30PM
D.M.Y hm 21.11.09 03:30PM
Y-M-D hm 09-11-21 03:30PM
ABC ABC ABC::
This function allows you to create unique
labels by using built-in templates. For a list of
available designs, refer to table ( ) on the
enclosed insertion sheet.
Example: (design/format 10)
Some designs contain a check mark next to
them in the table. If selected, your machine may
automatically stop printing if the print head
becomes too hot, allowing it to cool down. The
cooling time will be displayed. Once the print
head is cool, printing will continue automatically.
• Depending on the format you have
selected, the entire contents of your text
may not be printed.
• The template formats cannot be changed.
The highlighted symbols on the enclosed
insertion sheet are available in DECO MODE.
To clear all text, press .
Press to clear or to cancel.
• When you access DECO MODE, the most
recently printed text and label length will be
• Press to return to the previous step.
• Press to change the “Label Length”
setting back to [Auto].
To exit DECO MODE, press until the
display shows the text entry screen.
Alternative: select [Quit] in the [Print]/[Quit]
DECO MODE feature is only available when
using 1/2" (12mm) wide tape cassettes.
The maximum label length in DECO MODE is
7.8" (200 mm). When [Auto] is selected, the
machine will automatically adjust the length so
that the text appears on the label one time.
To create labels similar to the image below,
follow the below steps: Input up to 2 lines of text.
Print label, and wrap around cable. Always use
Brother Flexible ID tape when wrapping.
Refer to the manual enclosed with Flexible ID
tape about the recommended conditions for use.
Label length and margin settings will automatically
default to [Auto] when Cable Labeling.
Up to nine labels can be saved and recalled
for printing at a later date. It is also possible
to edit and overwrite a stored label.
Note: A message
Overwrite?” will appear if
you try to store a label when there is
already a label stored with that number.
In addition to the basic steps to search for a
function, the labeler also provides the user
with function shortcuts - making it easy to
jump to a frequently used function.
• Press and then the shortcut key.
• Press to confirm.
Shortcut keys and functions
Key Function Key Function
Label length Time Date
If the cutter blade becomes blunt after repetitive
use and the tape cannot be cut cleanly, replace
with new cutter unit (stock no.TC-5) by obtaining
from an authorized Brother reseller.
Tape cassettes See the included ‘Supplies
and Accessories Guide’.
AC adapter AD-24ES
Cutter unit TC-5 (replacement)
• Do not touch the cutter blade directly with your fingers.
• Do not swallow the cutter stopper.
(W x D x H)
4.25" × 8.24" × 2.27"
(107.9 × 209.4 × 57.6 mm)
Weight Approx. 0.69lb (Approx. 315g)
Power supply Six AAA alkaline batteries (LR03)
AC adapter Model AD-24ES
Tape cassette Brother TZ tape (width)
9/64" (3.5 mm), 1/4" (6 mm),
3/8" (9 mm), 1/2" (12 mm)